Prep. Time : 15 minutes | Cooking time : 70 minutes | Serving : 6 – 8
3 Cups Country Basmati Rice
1 Teaspoon Saffron, crushed
3 Tablespoons Yogurt
1/2 Cup Butter or Ghee, melted
Salt / Water
How to Prepare:
l. Wash the rice; soak it in water with 2 tablespoons of salt for 2-4 hrs. Drain.
2. Dissolve saffron in 4 tablespoons hot water. Keep aside.
3. In a large pot boil 8 cups of water with 2 tablespoons salt. Add the rice.
Boil briskly for 6 to 10 minutes. Drain then rinse with lukewarm water.
4. In a bowl, mix one cup of boiled rice, the yogurt, half the butter, half-cup hot water, and a few drops of dissolved saffron mixture.
5. In the bottom of the pot, spread the yogurt-rice mixture. Take one spatula of drained rice at a time and place it on top of the yogurt and rice
mixture, gradually shaping the rice into a pyramid. Poke two or three boles in the rice pyramid.
6. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes over medium heat in order to form a golden crust. Mix the remaining butter with 1 cup bot water and pour over the rice. Cover and simmer over low beat for 40-50 minutes.
7. Mix some rice with remaining saffron water to colour the rice, return to the pot. Then the rice on round serving dish and serve bot.