Prep. Time : 5 minutes | Cooking time : 20 minutes | Serving : 4 – 5
3 Cups Country Basmati Rice
3 Medium Eggplants
1 1/2Kg Lamb or veal chunks
1 Large Onion, quartered
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Mixed spices
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 1/4 Teaspoon Ground black pepper
3/4 Teaspoon Turmeric
3 Tablespoons Ghee
1 Large Onion, sliced
1 1/2 Cup Fried Pine nuts
Corn oil to fry the eggplants
How to Prepare:
1. Wash the rice and soak in warm water for 15 – 20 minutes. Drain.
2. Peel eggplants. Cut into 1cm slices. Sprinkle some salt over eggplants and leave aside for 30 minutes. Fry eggplants in oil, remove and drain on absorbent paper.
3. Place the meat, quartered onion, salt, and spices in a large saucepan. Add 6 – 7 cups water. Cover and cook until meat is tender 50 – 60 minutes. Keep the meat aside. Add water to meat stock to equal 5 cups.
4. In a Large casserole, cook sliced onions with ghee until golden . Arrange meat over onions in single layer; arrange the eggplants over meat, then spread over the rice.
5. Add stock gradually. Heat to boiling on high heat. Cover and simmer on very low heat for 30- 35 minutes.
6. Turn the Maklouba over into a large plate. Sprinkle with nu ts.