Prep. Time : 15 minutes | Cooking time : 1 1/4 hours | Serving : 8 – 10
3 Cups Country Basmati Rice
1 Teaspoon Saffron, crushed
4 – 6 Tablespoons Ghee
4 Small Potatoes, peeled & cubed
3 Large Onion, finely chopped
4 Large Garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tablespoon Ginger, finely chopped
1 Teaspoon Curry powder
1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric
1 Teaspoon Cumin, ground
3 Teaspoons Salt
4 Large Tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
4 Tablespoons Yogurt
1/2 Teaspoon Ground cardamom
2 Large Cinnamon stick
2 Pieces Bay leaves
1 Large Chicken, cut into pieces
Fried nuts and raisins / Boiled eggs
How to Prepare:
1. Wash rice and soak in warm water for 15- 20 minutes.
2. Dissolve saffron in 4 tablespoons hot water. Keep aside.
3. In a large pot boil 8 cups of water with 2 tablespoons salt. Add the rice.
Boil for 6 – 8 minutes. Drain.
4. Heat Ghee in a saucepan. Fry potatoes. Keep aside.
5. Add onion, garlic and ginger and fry until golden. Add spices,salt, and tomatoes, and stir constantly for
5 minutes. Add yogurt, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves and chicken pieces. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender 35 – 40 minutes.
6. Place half of the rice in a medium saucepan, add the chicken mixture, then the remaining rice, sprinkle with saffron mixture, cover and simmer for 35 – 40 minute. Serve in platter; add eggs, nuts, and raisins.